Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Grandma Hadfield's Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting

I've been wanting to try this recipe. I know that this blog is a place for only recipe's I have tested and consider fabulous but this can be the first exception. When Ryan talks about his brithday's growing up he remembers with fondness THIS cake, with THIS chocolate frosting. His grandmother used to make it for special occasions. I got the recipe from my Mother-in-law Jeri and wanted to keep it in a place where I know I wouldn't lose it! I have already asked Ryan's grandmother for a cooking lesson, so she can show me how she does it so perfectly. The frosting is particularly tricky. I am so excited to learn and carry on this wonderfully chocolatey tradition.

Ingredients: Cake
2 1/4 Cups flour
1 7/8 Cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
2/3 Cup shortening
1 1/4 cups buttermilk, 1/2 at a time
3 eggs
3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate squares
There are no mixing instructions so just mix as you would a regular
cake. I just remember to do half the milk, beat well, then the rest

Ingredients: Cooked frosting
3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons corn syrup
3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate square

Cook without stirring to a soft-ball stage. Add 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
Beat until it hold shape and is dull. Frost cake.
If the frosting starts setting up on you too soon, she would pour a
little canned milk into it and beat it some more. Its not quite as
pretty when you spread it but it tastes great.